Click on any image to view or order and use Go Fullscreen for best presentation
Please remember all these ARCHIVE images are presented 'as is' for on-screen viewing. When any image is ordered for sale we carry out any necessary cleaning and adjustment to restore the image to best possible condition.
The LSWR O2 Class 0-4-4Ts became synonomous with the Isle of Wight's railways, where twenty three of them were transferred by the Southern Railway from the mainland between 1923 and 1949. They were given extended bunkers to increase coal capacity on the busy island lines and were renumbered in the IOW W series and given names reflecting various locations on the Island. Two of the IOW locos were push-pull fitted while all had the Westinghouse brake system with the distinctive pumps carried on the side of the smokebox. the mainland O2s were all withdrawn by the end of 1962, but the exiles soldiered on until the end of 1966 when the surviving Wight railway line was converted to electric working. At that time No W14 FISHBOURNE was the oldest working steam loco on British Railways having completed 77 years in service!